Cheesy Pan-Roasted Broccoli Your Family Will Love
Learn how to pick the freshest broccoli, pan roast and make a delicious cheese sauce.
This cheesy pan-roasted broccoli has a creamy sauce that the whole family will love. Looking to boost your vitamin C and fiber intake in one bite? Forget the supplements — emerald green broccoli is a powerhouse vegetable. Broccoli is brimming with nutrients, especially vitamin C. In fact, cup for cup, it has more vitamin C than oranges, yet only half the calories.
To pick the freshest broccoli, look at the stem. It shouldn’t be dried out. Then look at the color of the florets — they should be dark green, not yellow. Pan roasting adds great flavor.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and the florets along with a pinch of salt, toss and cover.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook 4 to 5 minutes until the natural moisture in the broccoli cooks it through.
- While the broccoli is cooking, make the cheese sauce. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil and flour.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring often until a thick paste forms.
- Whisk in the milk, grated cheese, mustard and garlic powder.
- Cook another minute until a thick sauce forms, then pour over the cooked broccoli and serve for a vitamin-rich broccoli dish that you can indulge in.